Growing up, I would always daydream about my future family and home.....and what traditions we would have. I feel that weekly/monthly/yearly traditions keep children feeling loved, safe, and close to home! Cameron is getting old enough now to understand holidays and remember events and things we do. So this past year we have been working on establishing some of our very own traditions. I think it's normal to want to do things how your family did when you were a child. Luckily, Nate & I come from similar families, so we haven't had any 'issues' with how we want to do holidays and such. But I do feel very strongly about also establishing our OWN little family traditions & habits. Things that our kids will remember when they grow up.
Here are a few of ours:
Our newest tradition is Pancake Sunday. I recently found the BEST pancake recipe from scratch, and I love feeding my family a delicious Sunday breakfast!!
Another thing that I want to establish in my home is to stay dressed in our Sunday clothes all day. It's easier to remember it's the Sabbath Day, I think! My parents did a wonderful job of teaching us to honor the Sabbath Day growing up, and I have always wanted to do the same in my own home. It truly is a day separate from the rest, and I want my children to know that.
I want to make my childrens' birthday cakes each year. Some of them will probably turn out as true 'cake wrecks'.....but I don't care, and my kids probably won't either!! I have Allie's planned out for January, and I can't wait! Cam already has his picked out for next summer too!!
For those of you who may not know this.....Nater Boy & I met in the beautiful country of Korea. We both lived there for over a year, and the language, people, culture & food has become a part of who we are. So.....once a month, it's Korean Night. Complete with a Korean feast, chopsticks...and when the kids are old enough, we'll get out our Korean table and nice Korean dishes.
What are some of your family traditions? If you don't have a family yet.....what traditions are you dreaming of??? SHARE!!!!!
Speaking of Korean.....a few of us mission pals headed up to our mission president's house for a FEAST!! Here's Nate with President Bangerter. We LOVE him!! (And yes, he's making Bulgogi, and it was heaven!)
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Traditions
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





8 Happy Thoughts:
I agree with your tradition philosophy. I love coming up with our own traditions.
Matt and I have talked about this a lot so I'm glad you brought it up. Strangely enough I don't remember too many traditions that my family had...so we really want to make sure to have lots and you've given us some FAB ideas. I want to know this pancake recipe. Keep posting these ideas because sometimes I'm less then creative in this department! We like this pancake idea though. Have you ever had coconut syrup? It's heavenly and now I want to order some!
Hey Kristi, here's the recipe for ya:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons melted butter
Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together. Make a well in the flour mixture and add the wet mixture. Stir until combined. Then cook 'em up!!
YUM. They're pretty sweet, but we like them that way! You could always leave out the vanilla if it's too sweet for you. Enjoy!!
Pancake Sunday gives us something to look forward to each week....AND I get to wear my fab new apron that I can't stop being in love with!
What a wonderful meal! I enjoyed reading about your traditions, too.
Most of ours are centered around holidays, but day-to-day traditions include family dinners every night with prayer before.....prayers before bedtime, no matter how young the child is.....etc.
I've been writing about lots of our traditions in my Fall Favorites and will continue through the holiday season with Thanksgiving and Christmas centered ones. A new tradition includes Elf on the Shelf....precious.
Really enjoying your blog!
What a great blog post. I love the pancake Sunday. Ours is on Saturday and my husband makes it for us. We have quite a few but we find some are being tweaked as the kids get older. We always give something up for Lent even though we're not catholic, lol! We also have some great christmas traditions. We have a family potluck on Christmas eve before going to see the live nativity pageant. My husband also sneaks out of our bedroom window on Christmas eve and call th kids pretending to be Santa...corny but funny. I think the kids pretty much knows that it's their father but still looks forward to the phone calls.
We have muffins every Sunday. We've been doing that since we moved to Wisconsin and it's been great. We also say our high and low of the day at the dinner table. The kids have fun with that.
We do the muffin-thing on Sunday, too (is it a Green thing?), and the kids like to throw temper-tantrums ever afternoon before dinner.
looks like yummy food. traditions are important, it bonds us right?
Post a Comment