Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Furniture

So I think my "nesting" phase has started early with this pregnancy. Plus Nate has been around to help me with some major organizing/cleaning/decorating projects. Today we bought 3 new peices of furniture. Very exciting!


1. Entertainment Center:


For MONTHS it's been driving us CRAZY how Cam plays with the DVD player and Nate's video game equipment. He puts movies in and takes them out about 50 times a day (literally!!), and he is starting to ruin our dvds and probably the player as well. We were putting him in Time-Out constantly for it, and it was getting old!! So we found this fabulous little corner unit on craigslist.org (my favorite site!) for only $50! Can't beat that!!

Here is what it looked like before.....nice and ghetto:And here is after! We looked for weeks to find one where we could put the DVD player above the TV. Now Cam gets to watch movies on our terms and not his!! Thank heavens!

2. Glider Rocker for the kids' room:


When we sold our house and moved here, we lost a little over half of our living space! So we sold a ton of stuff....including the glider I used with Cam. I wasn't sad to see it go though....it was a really cheap wooden one that was actually really uncomfortable! This is the best picture I could find of it (aww, I LOVED Cam's room in our old house.....sad, I miss it sometimes!) I knew we would just buy another glider when we had another baby, so I didn't want to haul this one around anyway.Today I was looking at ShopKo.com, and they had this glider that is $200 on sale for $99! Can't beat a sale like that! So I sent Nate down to go get it. Yay! I will probably mostly feed the baby during the night out in our living room on the nice recliner since Cam will be sleeping, but it will be nice to have a comfy glider to use during the day. We are also doing some major rearranging in Cam's room, but until we figure out Cam's crib/bed situation, we are holding off on buying anything bed-wise. I am going to borrow my friend's bassinet (thanks Jenn!) for the baby for now. I think Cam will be staying in his crib until next Spring.




3. Dresser:


This is the dresser we have now. It's really beautiful and matches our headboard. We got it from a relative of Nate's who had passed away. But we talked and decided we needed to free up some floor space in our room so that we can move the Hope chest that's in Cam's room into our room to make room for the baby (wow, long sentence, did you follow that?). Nate made the chest in High school, it's beautiful. So we are selling this dresser on craigslist, and we bought this taller dresser at also ShopKo that was also on a fabulous 50% off sale.....told you I am the queen of finding bargains! It's still sitting in the box until we sell this one.

So even though our headboard and this dresser and the Hope chest will now all totally clash, we are happy. We weren't out to furnish our place with fancy expensive matching furniture. We will worry about that later when we can afford it!! We can just use this dresser for one of the kids later when Nate and I finally buy ourselves some nice bedroom furniture....if that day ever comes!!So there you have it!

My next project is the kitchen. I am on the lookout for a smaller dining table and a nice rug. Our friend is selling us her cute little pantry cupboard too. Our kitchen is HIDEOUS (totally 70's), I hate it! So I want to try and atleast make it look as cute as I can, if that's possible!! It's a lower priority though, so we'll see if I ever get around to it!!!

12 Happy Thoughts:

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Nice. I have 2 glider rockers now! Heath bought one the day Gwen and I came home fr. the hospital. Then a sweet lady in our ward gave us hers for free! How did I ever live without one before? Your apartment is looking so cute. Thanks for the compliment on my house.

Becca Jane said...

Trust me, the only "cute" parts of this apartment are that corner with the TV, and Cameron's room. The sight of our kitchen makes me want to cry every time I walk in the door....haha! Good thing we only have to live here for a few years....there is an end in sight!!

camie said...

good work! even when you are pregnant! the only thing i had energy to do while i was pregnant was sleep.
we should totally get our kiddos together! i will be gone the rest of august, but september when it cools down a little bit, we should meet at the park or something. joel needs kids his own age to play with.

Bethany said...

We have that same entertainment center! It's now used for the kid's playroom, but I still love it. I bought some hinged child proof locks to put on the doors because it didn't take Daniel long to figure out how to open them. When we lived in Texas we had a hideous 70's kitchen. The only great meals my family ate while we lived there were made at my in-laws because I hated being in that kitchen so much. Luckily we were only there for 14 months!

The Super Seven said...

Love love love the deals!!!! I'm all about a deal and a good sale. I love it when you can get something for half price or less. The entertainment unit looks great. I hate the look of everything just sitting all out in front of the TV. When we got our new TV Jeff built a shelf right in the wall for the DVD player etc. It's so nice not having it in the way. If you are on the hunt for a smaller table and chairs you ought to look on the IKEA site. Karen has a cute set from there and she got the table and chairs for around $150.....we are going to get bunkbeds from there for Jake and Georgia. I'll send you some info. Good luck......have fun nesting......if you feel like cleaning come on over.....lol....talk soon!!!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could buy your dresser. Do you deliver to Wisconsin? --DeAnn

Bethany said...

I tagged you. Go take a look!

The Bing's said...

That was so much fun to read...I love new furniture...and all the deals were so great. I wish you lived here so you could find me good deals like that!! Your placs is going to look so great with all it's new additions...hope we chat soon I miss you!

Anonymous said...

looks like u found some sweet deals.. wahooo for you!!!

Anonymous said...

looks like u found some sweet deals.. wahooo for you!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jordan and Danny said...

Cute stuff! i'm jelous of your entertainment center! I've been looking for something like that too. Have you looked at IKEA for kitchen things. I love that place! Good luck on the bed situation with Cameron. We switched McKay to a twin sized bed when he was about 26 months. I thought it would be hard, but it acutally was really easy. Thanks for all your comments!