Monday, August 25, 2008

Fruits & Veggies

I feel like I blog all the time.....and the funny thing is, I also feel like I shouldn't have anything to write about!! I'm usually just home all day! Well, either way, thanks for reading my random thoughts.


So one of my favorite things about Summer and Fall is the fresh fruits & vegetables. They taste SO good! Lately I have been buying oranges, pears, grapes, tomatoes & red peppers by the bagful. I can't get enough! I don't consider myself a "health freak" by ANY means, but I do love how I feel when I eat fresh food....with no preservatives. I honestly believe our bodies crave natural, fresh food. Especially since being pregnant, I have been making better choices when I get hungry. I am finding that eating a simple orange will fill me up and give me energy....as opposed to a handful of Oreos or a bag of popcorn....which I normally might have chosen. My body is starting to crave fruit and fresh veggies over junk food. I love it!
So my latest obsession to make for dinner has been Vegetable Jambalaya. It is loaded with veggies and is delicious...I think! I've been making it weekly, and we just love it around here!
1. Saute basically any veggies you like in some olive oil.....I usually do celery, red bell pepper, onion, mushrooms & garlic. Zucchini and/or green pepper would probably be good too. I just love the bright colors of vegetables!

2. When they are tender, add 2-3 chopped garden tomatoes.
3. Add 2 c water & 1 c long-grain rice (uncooked).
4. Add 2 TBS soy sauce, S & P, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/8 tsp chili powder, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper.
5. Mix together and pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake, covered, at 350 for 65 minutes.
Let me know how you like it!

5 Happy Thoughts:

The Piquant Storyteller said...

I'm so happy to hear of a pregnant woman who believes in eating healthy! I think there are too many women who say, "I'm pregnant and gaining weight anyway so it's my time to eat whatever I want." Good job on the fresh food. I actually craved fresh vegetables with Gavin.

Let the party begin... said...

Thank you so much for that post. My daughter has just turned vegetarian and it has been a struggle to come up with recipes to feed her. I can't wait to try it out. Our family has always eaten healthily, hence their slimness, so I certainly appreciate anyone else who does too. Have you ever tried juicing? That is fantastic!

The Super Seven said...

I should have known it was going to be a healthy post...lol...as I sit here at 8 am eating a piece of cold pizza. I can relate to loving the fruits and veggies lately....I can't get enough salad!!! If only everyone else loved it as much as I do......talk soon.....

Becca Jane said...

Well, don't get me wrong...I've also been eating my (and the baby's) fair share of maple donuts and ice cream....but it's weird...I can only handle a few bites of that stuff before I feel sick. But with the healthy fresh foods, I can eat a lot more. Kathy, I've been eating a lot of salad too. Avocados are my favorite salad topping!

Becca Jane said...

I also have started reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollard....very good so far! Check it out!