Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mommy Motivation

This isn't a picture of me.  But it very well could be.....if I were to lie down in my living room this very minute, I could have Nate take a VERY similar picture (except my rug isn't this cute, don't you love it?? And it would be trains and cars instead of Barbies!)

Photo from Simple Mom

Doesn't motherhood duties feel like they are the same thing day after day.....after day.....after day??  So how do you find the motivation to keep going?  Here are a few things I have learned over the years.....and am still re-learning every day!!

1. I remember that I chose motherhood.  Nobody forced me to get married, have babies & stay home with them.  And nobody is stopping me from putting my kids in daycare and going back to work.  So on the days when I wake up and think, "Well, here goes another day of diapers and dishes....."  I just remind myself that this is what I dreamed of growing up, and now that I have made these choices, this is my responsibility and my priviledge!!  Be grateful for your opportunity to be a wife & mother.

2. My home is my HAVEN.  A haven is a place of refuge; a place offering favorable conditions (according to Webster!).  This is the ONE place in the whole world that I have control over.  I control the appearance, and more importantly, the atmosphere.  This is the ONE place where my children can be themselves and feel love and acceptance and SAFETY.  It is up to me, as the mother, to keep this simple apartment in a manner so that the Spirit can be here freely without reserve. 

3. Look Cute!!  No need to spend hours getting ready (everybody knows I never do!!!).....but it's amazing what a few simple things can do to boost your spirits.  Even just putting on my wedding rings, my tag necklace with my babies' names on it, and a cute flower in my hair (lots to choose from at Sweet Jane, hint, hint!!).....makes me feel better!  Get a CUTE apron!  It will protect your clothes from baby food and splashing dishwater.....and there are some really adorable ones out there now!  I wear mine daily for all of my motherly chores.....it really makes them more fun!

4. Don't be Perfect.  A perfectly spotless house is a sign that my kids haven't been played with!  One day I told myself that I would keep my place clean for the whole day.  I washed each dish as it was used, cleaned up each toy as it was played with, etc etc.  At the end of the day, my house looked awesome.....and my kids looked miserable.  Not worth it!!!!!  I'm sooo far from perfect.  I rarely make our bed, my sink is rarely empty, and don't even get me started on my floors.  A constant work in progress!!

5. Form Routines.  I am horrible at keeping a cleaning schedule.  I can't even count how many schedules I've typed up, printed out, and hung on my fridge.....and never kept.  So throw any ideas my way about that!  Please!!  But other routines are important for keeping your home in order.  Especially a bedtime routine!  My children are awesome sleepers and are both in bed by 7 pm.  This gives me and Nate several hours to just be together.  At 5:45, we sit on the sofa, sings songs and read some books, and then we "kido" (pray).  I love these few moments with my babies.  Sometimes Nate is home, sometimes he's not.....but I make it happen every night.  Allie goes to bed at 6, and then I have an hour with Cam before he goes to bed at 7.  He is learning to pick up his toys and get his jammies on during that time so that Daddy comes home to a 'haven'!!!

6. Take time for YOU.  Since I have my evenings free, I really never complain for more 'me time'.  I feel blessed about this!  I love my evenings!  I get to snuggle Nate, make bows, watch tv shows that I choose, and study the Gospel.  One of my favorite moments of the day is collapsing into my comfy bed and reading the scriptures.  My mind just relaxes.  My scriptures are filled with notes from my mission.  Notes about certain investigators, companions, experiences.....it makes me so happy to read and remember some of the best moments of my life. 

7. Look at your children's faces.  If you ever need some motivation to take care of your home, just look into your children's eyes.  Simple.  It'll work miracles, I promise.  You will want to do anything for them.  And you do.  You do everything for them because you are a mother, and you are amazing.

7 Happy Thoughts:

starnes family said...

Really a good post and something to help us all. I appreciate it!

We are huge on routines, too, and especially bedtime. I love when all 3 kids are asleep and I have a few hours with my husband each night. We need it to recharge. I look forward to watching mindless TV, visiting with him and just reflecting on our day and planning for those ahead.

If I were to give a new parent one single bit of advice, it would be to establish a good sleep routine. Kids need it! For their health, sanity, well being!

The Full Nelson said...

I clean our place first thing in the morning but by the time the kids that I babysit leave I feel like you can't even tell. I try to pick up as I go so that it's not a disaster! Thanks for reminding me that we choose this...I love being a stay at home mum but there are definately days when I could go crazy...it's worth it though! I agree that it definately helps to look nice. When I don't bother getting ready I feel worse and likea a bum. I try to at least put some makeup on so I don't scare people away!

Becca Jane said...

AMEN Casey!! I never understand how parents can tolerate their kids staying up until midnight or sleeping in their bed with them....I'm such a sleep nazi mom!! My kids don't have a choice! Lights out, and we don't see them until morning. (unless their sick...i'm not THAT mean!)

Cheryl said...

Great post... thanks for the tips and reminders! Gotta love being a mother and all the struggles and blessings that come with it!

kristi said...

So I pretty much think I'm going to print this post out and keep it for the rest of my life!! ;) Seriously Becca - THANKS! Best post ever! And just what I was needing to hear.

Meka said...

I love everything you wrote! I am a bit psychotic when it comes to routines for Eden! She is in bed by 6:30 each night! She is a great sleeper too! Oh and it's so great to have those evenings free to get things done! I wish we lived closer, we could have so much fun making bows and enjoying being parents! I could learn a lot from you too! At least we have blogs!

Kristi Drennan said...

Great great post! It's fridge worthy. I'm really feeling like I really had it soo good when I was just home all day. I mean it's a bit harder up here where there is no other Moms, church, or any errands to do to keep you a bit more on the sane side but just the ability to be home and keep up on the basics and play with cute kid....ahh it was sooo good. Just about 9 months left...I can do it!